ant-dev mailing list archives

From kj <kevin.jack...@it.fts-vn.com>
Subject Re: [Patch] ChangeLogParser - hiding field
Date Fri, 17 Dec 2004 11:50:26 GMT
On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 12:29 +0100, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, Kev Jackson <kevin.jackson@it.fts-vn.com> wrote:
>
> > -class ChangeLogParser {
> > +public class ChangeLogParser {
>
> why?
why not? ;)

No really, just habit - company standards where I've worked in past etc.
Changing it can't break BWC as it can only make the class more visible
not less visible.

I suppose it could expose the class more than was intended, but again
the only real rationale for this was that I was looking at the class and
it's completely automatic (for me) to specify an exact access modifier
for everything as shows your exact intentions.

I can understand if there's a problem with changing it and it breaks
stuff, I won't do it again, but I basically was on autopilot for that
particular change.

Also to be fair only a few classes are defined without any modifier - I
assumed this was a historical oddity and was breaking style.

Rambling now ... never mind

Kev