ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New repository task
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 18:13:38 GMT

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 10:22:40 -0600, Groboclown <groboclown@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 22:27:12 +0000, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org>
wrote:

> > Also, and this is important, you dont need to use it to download
stuff.
> > Instead you can use it to manage libraries that you depend on. (We
may
> > want to change behaviour to say if you dont specify a repository,
that
> > is exactly what you get)
>
> That's great.  I just became a little cautious when I saw a bunch of
> hard-coded references to the Maven style of paths.  If this stays
> confined to the Maven repository, that's fine.
>
> One thing I've always liked about Ant is that it doesn't dictate to
> you any way to store your files (well, besides the ANT_HOME
> directory).  This kind of thing seems to me like forcing the user into
> the Maven world view.

No, no maven world view. And the task is very extensible; you can define
new repository types to bind to non-maven, even non-http repositories;
you can define new handlers (UpdatePolicies) to run before and after the
downloads.

One thing on my todo list (*) is to add something to ant's build.xml to
fetch down the relevant binaries for all the optional tasks to build. We
could then do one for end users that pulls in the appropriate binaries
into an installation. Thoughts?

-steve

(*) none of which will get done this calendar year; I am off on holiday
with no laptop till january.