ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Patch] change org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Concat to use static method FileUtils.readFully
Date Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:33:16 GMT
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Kevin Jackson <kevin.jackson@it.fts-vn.com>
wrote:

> Most of the newer code in FileUtils is non-static, but most of the
> older code is static, is this a historical oddity, or is there a
> reason for it?

I don't think it is an older/newer thing.

Initially we thought we'd provide subclasses for different OSes like
OpenVMSFileUtils or NetwareFileUtils and would use newFileUtils as a
factory method.  We never did so, though.

Some of the functionality would be the same among all OSes (like
closing streams or reading files completely) and could be static,
others like normalizing file names would be OS dependent and had to be
non-static.

Stefan