ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: repository
Date Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:25:40 GMT
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Russell Gold <russgold@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:12:21 +0100, Stefan Bodewig
> <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:

>> Let me take a few steps back and first look at the functionality
>> only.  We have:
>>
>> * a local directory holding libraries. (both)
>>
>> * remote site that may hold libraries not yet installed on our
>>   system and a mechanism to get the files from the remote site to
>>   our system.  (both)
>>
>> * information about a specific layout of directories and files both
>>   locally and remotely - that's what I understand the term
>>   repository to mean in this context.  (both, but optional with
>>   getlibraries and central part of the logic in dependencies).
>
> As I understand it, the local directory for getlibraries is
> typically a flat directory, similar to what a single project would
> use.

OK, given getlibraries' ability to throw in mappers things can get
structured, though.  This is another hint that the repository itself
is less central for getlibraries.

>> * can create filesets or path from the libaries in the local file
>>   system.  (both, but optional with getlibraries and central part
>>   of the logic in dependencies).
>
> As I understand it, getlibraries does not support creating filesets,
> since a central part of its logic is populating a project-specific
> directory.

But it is trivial for the user to create one.  Point taken.

So from a pure functionality POV, both are pretty much identical.
dependendies doesn't do timestamp comparisions but may need to add
that once it starts to support repository interfaces with filenames
that are not sufficiently unique.

In the end the major difference is a philosophical one.  What is the
central piece of the task, the repository or downloading of files.

I guess I'm more on the side of the declarative approach dependencies
takes, but I do want those additional bells and whistles like MD5
checksum validations and timestamp checks if needed.

Stefan