ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: [Patch] removed multiple returns from AntTypeDefinition.getTypeClass
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2004 14:52:56 GMT
> From: Kevin Jackson [mailto:kevin.jackson@it.fts-vn.com]
> It's not a fix or anything, but IM(very humble)O having one return
makes
> the code easier to understand.

Well, I for one disagree ;-) I always return early for trivial cases,
getting them out of the way, making it obvious that the meat or rest of
a method works only for given validated inputs (pre-conditions of sort).
It also avoids having to scroll down to figure out what happens next,
like the value is returned as-is in this case.

Of course it depends on length of the method and over factors, but
having a single return is not a criteria I rate highly when judging how
a method should be implemented. It's all very much in the eye of the
beholder. --DD