ant-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: task testing style?
Date Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:24:20 GMT
Both styles of testing have their merits.  There are some mock objects
in Ant's test infrastructure (MockBuildListener, for example).

The most important thing, of course, is that tests are created that
ensure that the production code is working as it should.  Sure, there
are more moving parts in the functional-style.  Ideally there would be
all flavors of testing in place to ensure all levels are functioning
appropriately.

There are certainly no objections about incorporating more mock-style
testing into Ant's codebase.  The more testing the better!

The dilemma I've encountered when folks catch on to mock unit testing
is that they get carried away with it and try to mock too much
functionality rather than keeping it focused, at which point you end up
with mock objects that are so complex that they require their own unit
tests :)

	Erik