ant-dev mailing list archives

From Russell Gold <russg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: repository
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:20:51 GMT
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:08:44 +0000, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:36:25 -0500, Russell Gold <russgold@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Sounds like overkill to me (individual users rarely build two projects
>  > so simultaneously that the scenario is ever likely to arise.
>  >

> you dont have a work cruise control server building 5+ projects do you?

Yes - we either run them one at a time or on separate boxes.

> Saving files to the side of the main one is important in caching as
>
> (a) the download could take some time over a slow link, so the window of
> the race is quite big

All the more reason to cache them

> (b) if the download failed half-way, you'd break not only the build you
> were running, but every other build on the system.

Only in the case where two projects simultaneously upgrade to the same
version of a dependency and are also scheduled to build at the same
time. Otherwise, the projects which use the same version they used to
simply point to the cache.

> Like I said, I will change default behaviour to only fetch missing stuff.

And also please avoid the copying. Under most conditions, it is
preferable simply to point to the cache. In general, you only need to
get private copies when you are building a distribution.