ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: repository
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:53:15 GMT
<stevel@apache.org> wrote:

 > > you dont have a work cruise control server building 5+ projects do you?
 >
 > Yes - we either run them one at a time or on separate boxes.

we have one dedicated box with a 15 minute cycle time on each project;
with two CPUs you
can easily have multiple builds ongoing.

 > > Saving files to the side of the main one is important in caching as
 > >
 > > (a) the download could take some time over a slow link, so the
window of
 > > the race is quite big
 >
 > All the more reason to cache them

true. But then you need to have a test that simulates the race condition.

 > > (b) if the download failed half-way, you'd break not only the build you
 > > were running, but every other build on the system.
 >
 > Only in the case where two projects simultaneously upgrade to the same
 > version of a dependency and are also scheduled to build at the same
 > time. Otherwise, the projects which use the same version they used to
 > simply point to the cache.

Now I'm confused.

If you have a central cache, surely the classpath would point to the
files in the central cache. in both projects.
so for one project a file they thought was there would suddenly
disappear, CC would fail, etc, etc.

 > > Like I said, I will change default behaviour to only fetch missing
stuff.

 > And also please avoid the copying. Under most conditions, it is
 > preferable simply to point to the cache. In general, you only need to
 > get private copies when you are building a distribution.

I want the opinon of other developers on this topic.

-steve