ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: WeakishReference12 - what is it used for?
Date Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:13:42 GMT
Kevin,

It was there to deal with the fact that we only wanted to keep weak
references to something (I forget what, maybe something in in <ant>),
but we couldnt do it with Java1.1 support. So we had to wrap up weak
refs behind weakish references that switched between hard and weak refs
depending on the runtime. This meant that 1.1 could leak memory on a big
build, but later platforms would not.

It isnt in use since we moved to 1.2+, but hasnt been purged from the
codebase yet. Something we ought to consider...

-steve