ant-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@houston.rr.com>
Subject Re: [human-assisted gump] log4j back incompatible change
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2004 05:46:59 GMT
I took a quick look at the break and in no way can speak for log4j or
Ceki, but thought I would give a quick analysis to show how little I
know of the problem.

On Oct 29, 2004, at 12:07 AM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

>  1) if you might be willing to revert the change if you did not intend
> to cause such effect

Swapping the derivation from Category extends Logger from Logger
extends Category has been long expected and surely intentional.
Catgegory has long been deprecated and this was a move to finally
eliminate it from the tree.  At least one of the breaks occurred since
the return type of Category.getLogger changed from Category to Logger
with the swap.  To retain compatibility with old code, it would appear
that Category would have to encapsulate Logger instead of extending it.