ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject [human-assisted gump] log4j back incompatible change
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2004 05:07:38 GMT
Ceki,

your action

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/logging-log4j/src/java/org/apache/log4j/Category.java?r1=1.88&r2=1.89&diff_format=h

caused a compilation failure of the following projects:

   - commons-logging
   - velocity
   - ant

and, as a result, caused a drop in the gump's success from 83% to 53%,
for more info see:

  http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/project_todos.html

Now, since this is a back incompatible change, we (the gumpmeisters)
would like to know:

  1) if you might be willing to revert the change if you did not intend
to cause such effect

  2) if not, if you are willing to move the previous version of the tree
into a branch so that we can migrate the dependencies to that

  3) if not, if you are willing to work with the offended dependees to
restore their success status.

  4) if not, if you have any alternative suggestion on how to move forward.

please understand that we have no preference in which road the log4j
project decides to go, we are only interested in giving a chance to
those 322 projects that were affected by this to keep having build
information.

Thank you very much in advance for your cooperation.

--
Stefano, doing by hand what gump should be able to do in the future.