ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Reilly <peterrei...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types CommandlineJava.java PropertySet.java
Date Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:10:49 GMT
Peter Reilly wrote:

> Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>>> In this case, the "properties" are from System.getProperties() and
>>> not from Project.getProperties().... so they are strings.
>>>

>> Who is going to prevent System.getProperties().put(Object, Class)?
>>

> Nothing...
> However, it is breaking the usage of properties, for example:
> public class Test {
>        Integer i = new Integer(10);
>        System.getProperties().put(i, "10");
>        System.getProperties().list(System.out);
>    }
> }

Acutally:
        Integer i = new Integer(10);
        System.getProperties().put(i, "10");
        Enumeration names = System.getProperties().propertyNames();

Also gives the java.lang.ClassCastException exception.
Since Properties.propertyNames() is the correct way to retieve the names
of the system properties, we cannot check if the user has messed up the
contents
of the properties (without always iterating over the contents and
removing invalid
keys and values and *then* calling propertyNames).

Peter