ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject RE: repository
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2004 08:47:04 GMT
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:00:43 -0500, Dominique Devienne
<ddevienne@lgc.com> wrote:

 >, I don't like that Steve used HttpClient
 > to do a simple fetch. <get> does not need it. Yes, HttpClient is
 > great and all, but I view it as overkill for this, and an undue
 > dependency, which pulls in yet another dependency.

yeah, I know. I was just getting something up and running. to be useful
this needs to be part of ant core, and so dependency free.

 > As I though then, and still think now, dependency downloading
 > should be part of Ant code, and not require anything more than
 > JDK 1.2. I know Steve thinks the JDK stinks, but for downloading
 > files java.net is plenty enough, and <get> demonstrates that!

Oh, Iove the JDK, and am running jdk1.5 on my home box right now. what I
dont like about the HTTP stack is that it is so inconsistent from
version to version. It is the only bit of the library where  I have left
abuse on the bug page, the bug in question being the "cant delete
cookies" defect,  which was "fixed" to prevent you setting >1 cookie.

yes, get makes more sense; I was just being lazy.

actually, the other advantage of java.net.URLConnection is that you get
filesystem repository support for free; httpclient is -I think- HTTP
only. And it appears to be entering a period of API instability.