ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Getting started contributing to Ant - Confused
Date Tue, 07 Sep 2004 06:40:45 GMT
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Matt Harrah <frizbog@charter.net> wrote:

> 1) When I do a build of Ant from the source, I get a load of
> Manifest only jars.  Is this normal?

Yes.  Ant won't compile the optional tasks you don't have the
dependencies for.

> 2) When I create a java project using Eclipse and point to the Ant
> source, most of it won't compile because of missing classes.

You compile Ant with Ant - use the bootstrap script suitable for your
platform to get started.  Ant's build file will detect which
dependencies are missing and only compile what it can.

> Am I supposed to gather all the third-party jars that Ant supports
> and add them to the classpath?

Only if you want to compile the optional tasks.  I'd call JUnit
required, though, since we really want to see unit tests along with
patches.

> 3) Are there special coding conventions to follow that are specific
> to the Ant project?

Not really specific to Ant.  We more or less follow Sun's coding
conventions and we have a checkstyle build file (check.xml) that we
run every now and then.  The main requirement that really becomes a
show stopper is that every file has to contain the short version of
the Apache Software License.  Oh, and "no tabs".

Stefan