ant-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Request for more access to IntrospectionHelper-stored info
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:08:06 GMT
On Aug 17, 2004, at 11:51 AM, Dominique Devienne wrote:
>> From: Erik Hatcher [mailto:erik@ehatchersolutions.com]
>> On Aug 17, 2004, at 9:47 AM, Dominique Devienne wrote:
>>> I'm working on a combination task/doclet to document Ant
> tasks/types.
>> Have you looked deep into proposal/xdocs to see how its documentation
>> generation was done?  How much of what you're doing is reinventing
> what
>> was done there?  Sounds almost identical.  I leveraged
>> IntrospectionHelper as well as the XDoclet object model to get all the
>> info I needed.
>
> Glad to hear what I'm doing is not too wrong headed then ;-)
>
> No I didn't, because I'm not willing to take on the XDoclet dependency.

Quite understandable about that dependency - it is heavy, no question.

> I've had good success with plain doclets in the past, and I don't see
> Javadoc as being slow either (it's the StandardDoclet that's slow, not
> Javadoc itself). Also, I want an XSL-driven solution.

proposal/xdocs generates XML files for each task, which could of course
easily be XSL'd.  The current XML -> HTML generation is done using
DVSL.

> But reinventing the wheel or not, the fact remains that the additional
> accessors I'm requesting in IntrospectionHelper are needed for any
> solution that doesn't want to re-code the attribute/nested-element
> logic
> in reverse, or the whole logic of the add[Configured](Class) extension
> points.

Yeah, I definitely recoded that type of stuff in TaskTagsHandler.java.

> I've been postponing the documentation of my many tasks for too long,
> and it's time I get something working. I'm not willing to hand write
> documentation in HTML, but I want to assemble it from Javadoc comments
> and possibly auxiliary XML or plain text files (Wiki-style). --DD

Keep us posted on what you come up with!  I created proposal/xdocs to
generate the task reference appendix in JDwA, and tossed it out there
as a possible way to document tasks/types in the hopes it would get
more attention that it has.  I believe Steve has used it to generate
task documentation in Axis, and it has been used a little to generate
the documentation of some of Ant's newer tasks (the HTML pages that
don't quite fit in).  Ant's task documentation could definitely use
some automated generation.

At least the work I've done on tagging Ant's source code should help
you in your efforts, with the @ant.* tags.

	Erik