ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <>
Subject Re: Request for more access to IntrospectionHelper-stored info
Date Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:08:26 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:
> Keep us posted on what you come up with!  I created proposal/xdocs to
> generate the task reference appendix in JDwA, and tossed it out there as
> a possible way to document tasks/types in the hopes it would get more
> attention that it has.  I believe Steve has used it to generate task
> documentation in Axis, and it has been used a little to generate the
> documentation of some of Ant's newer tasks (the HTML pages that don't
> quite fit in).  Ant's task documentation could definitely use some
> automated generation.

yes, Axis and SmartFrog tasks are autodocumented, in an ugly-and-brittle
manner that needs careful nursing. Still, it is better than hand coding.

I have been told off by friends for our book lacking autogenerated info
on types alongside tasks. A valid point :(

What I'd like from autocreated stuff is

-readable docs
-ability to include samples
-linking to nested types
-index docs
-ease of use by other projects that create ant tasks.

we are not there -yet.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message