ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Wachter <Stefan.Wach...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: new task to execute TeX
Date Fri, 06 Aug 2004 14:24:11 GMT
Steve Loughran wrote:

> Stefan Wachter wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I developed a simple task that can be used to process a fileset of
>> TeX files. If you think that task is useful to others too, then you
>> may include it in the Ant distribution. You may choose to change the
>> package where I decided to place the task.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> --Stefan
>>
>>  <target name="pdf" depends="compile, context">
>>    <tex dir="${stammPdfBuildDir}" includes="**/*.tex" verbose="false"
>> mode="context"/>
>>  </target>
>>

> It is useful, but I dont think its core enough to go into the Ant
> distro. We will happily link to wherever you host it, such as on
> sourceforge. A <bibtex> task with it would be nice too.
>

> Couple of questions
>
> 1. how do you do dependency logic?
>
> 2. how do you know how many times to run tex?
>
> 3. what if I want LaTeX?
>
> -steve

Hi Steve,

unfortunately, I have no "public" place where I can make that task
available. Do you know some place out there that could be used?
Regarding your questions:

1 (dependency check): I assume that for each source file (*.tex) a
destination file is to be generated. The filename extension of the
destination files can be configured and is defaulted to "pdf". I check
for each source file if the corresponding destination file already
exists and if it is newer. In that case TeX is not executed.

2 (repetitions): TeX is only executed once. Maybe this should also be
configurable.

3 (variants of TeX): I currently support two variants of TeX to be used:
"pdflatex" and "context". Depending on the variants different commands
are executed:

- for pdflatex: command = new String[] { "pdflatex", " &pdflatex
\\nonstopmode\\input{" + srcFile.getName() + "}"};

- for context: command = new String[] {"texexec", "--silent " +
srcFile.getName()};

maybe the command should also be configurable. For example naming the
executable ("pdflatex", "texexec", ...) and the arguments. The arguments
might contain a special token that is replaced by the filename of each
file to be processed.

Cheers,
--Stefan