ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Anderson, Rob (Global Trade)" <Rob.Ander...@nike.com>
Subject ant -projecthelp not working under certain conditions...
Date Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:18:03 GMT
I have an issue with the use of ant -projecthelp. I have a build file that will load properties
from a file based on the value of a property passed in on the command line. Here is a little
build file to illustrate my point...

<project name="LPO Automation" basedir="." default="build">
<property file="${env}.properties"/>

<fail unless="env">
Please specify the environment on the command line...
        ant -Denv=environment target</fail>

<target name="build"/>
<target name="target_a"/>
<target name="target_b"/>
<target name="target_c"/>
</project>

Now with the build file above running 'ant -p' shows no output. In order to see the available
targets I must run 'ant -Denv=something -p'. I would prefer that 'ant -p' work as without
having to add the -Denv=something option. If that is not possible, it would be great if the
fail task reported the failure so the user is not wondering why there is no output from 'ant
-p'. I would like to open a change request for this issue, but I would like to get some consensus
from the developers on the best way to address this issue. The two options I have come up
with are:

a) Make 'ant -p' work under these conditions (preferred)
b) Make it so the fail task reports the failure

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Robert Anderson  Sr. System Engineer  Nike - Global Trade IT  (503) 532-6803  d

"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best
friend; inside of dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx