ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: new Task subclass
Date Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:13:05 GMT
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Doh, that's right.... back to THAT big argument again.

8-)

> But if the same principles apply, <target> would be restricted from
> expression evaluation for the same reasons as it is restricted from
> property evaluation, no?

Probably yes.  The only things where I see a technical reason are
depends and name, I don't see a real technical reason to not allow
expansion on if, unless or description.

IIRC consistency was the reason, i.e. it is harder to explain that
properties do not get expanded in the depends attribute but in if than
to say no attribute gets expanded.

> Also, let me add this reminder to the discussion:
> IMHO we should be able to completely substitute Ant's
> PropertyHelper, and further we should be able to do it
> using Definitions and References, i.e. with current
> infrastructure, and without writing Java code,

I'm not sure it should be done via References, but I agree that it
should be easy to do - and possible to do from within the build file.
The examples we have in the sandbox all combine a PropertyHelper with
a task that installs it.  This works and would look like

<taskdef name="myph" classname="my.PropertyHelperInstallingTask"/>
<myph/>

Stefan