ant-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: SubAnt output
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2004 18:20:10 GMT
Cool. Thanks for fixing this. Even though it's a bit late, I would like this
patch to make it to 1.6.2. Does anyone object?

But on a different note, even though I looked at the patch, I'm not sure I
understand why adding these methods fixes the problem (as was involved in
writing SubAnt.java initially). I would have thought that executing the
nested Ant would have been enough to properly nest the messages.

Could someone savvy with the Ant logging mechanism explain/describe this
mechanism and why this patch fixes the issue here!?

Christian? Conor? Stefan? Antoine? Peter? Anyone?

Thanks, --DD

-----Original Message-----
From: Christian Knorr
To: dev@ant.apache.org
Sent: 7/1/2004 7:00 AM
Subject: SubAnt output

Hi,

I am new to this list. By browsing the archives I could not find
anything related to my problem but forgive me if it has already been
mentioned:

In our hierarchical build structure we use the SubAnt task to delegate
all tasks to our components specific build-scripts. In combination with
CruiseControl we realized that the XML output generated by the XMLLogger
does not represent a correct correlation of messages to tasks when using
SubAnt:

Buildfile: build.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="log.xsl"?>

<build error="D:\prj\test\ant\build.xml:6: Following error occured while
executing this line
D:\prj\test\ant\sub\build.xml:6: Compile failed; see the compiler error
output for details." time="1 second">
	<target name="build" time="1 second">
		<task location="D:\prj\test\ant\build.xml:6: "
name="subant" time="1 second">
			<message
priority="warn"><![CDATA[D:\prj\test\ant\sub\src\Test.java:4: cannot
resolve symbol]]></message>
			<message priority="warn"><![CDATA[symbol  :
method printer ()]]></message>
			<message priority="warn"><![CDATA[location:
class java.io.PrintStream]]></message>
			<message priority="warn"><![CDATA[
System.out.printer();]]></message>
			<message priority="warn"><![CDATA[
^]]></message>
			<message priority="warn"><![CDATA[1
error]]></message>
			<target name="build" time="0 seconds">
				<task
location="D:\prj\test\ant\sub\build.xml:6: " name="javac" time="0
seconds">
					<message
priority="info"><![CDATA[Compiling 1 source file]]></message>
				</task>
			</target>
		</task>
	</target>
	<stacktrace><![CDATA[D:\prj\test\ant\build.xml:6: Following
error occured while executing this line
D:\prj\test\ant\sub\build.xml:6: Compile failed; see the compiler error
output for details.
	at
org.apache.tools.ant.ProjectHelper.addLocationToBuildException(ProjectHe
lper.java:574)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Ant.execute(Ant.java:422)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.SubAnt.execute(SubAnt.java:219)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.SubAnt.execute(SubAnt.java:149)
	at
org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:306)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:401)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:338)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.performTasks(Target.java:365)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTarget(Project.java:1237)
	at
org.apache.tools.ant.Project.executeTargets(Project.java:1094)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.runBuild(Main.java:669)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.Main.startAnt(Main.java:220)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:215)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:90)
]]></stacktrace>
</build>


Obviously all the 'message' elements should be children of the 'javac
task' element. It seems to me that the SubAnt task does not take care of
the new project which is being created by its child Ant tasks.

As a quick fix for us I patched the SubAnt task to work similar as the
Ant task does. But instead of the 'project' variable I made the 'ant'
variable a field which is only valid during execution of the associated
project.

Please let me know if there is anything else I might have missed or if
this is the way to go. Feel free to apply the patch (which has been
performed on Ant 1.6.1) to the Ant sources (although I guess there is a
much cleaner way to accomplish this).

Cheers,
Christian

P.S.: In addition to the patch file I also added the build files to
reproduce the erroneous behaviour.
___________________________________________________________
EADS SPACE Transportation - TE 55 - Phone: +49-421-539-5673


 <<subAntOutputStructure.patch>>  <<ATT37308.txt>> 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@ant.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@ant.apache.org


Mime
View raw message