ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: testing for verbose mode
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2004 10:23:40 GMT
Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:

> Well we also have the <record/> loggers. Which although not controlled
> by the commad line, I think they should have the same rights to events
> as "the logger" (otherwise they are useless for debugging sections of
> a build).

The logger is special. It has the right to write to the original
System.out stream. No other listener has that right. <record/> instances
are not BuildLoggers, they are BuildListeners. The specialness of the
command line logger does not affect the "rights" of other listeners to
receive events.

> It you can decide not to issue messages, you can decide to change the
> behavior
> of your task in a more radical fashion. But nevermind this point.
>
> Still if we want to have such functionality what we would need is an API
> in project to check for current "logging level of interest" that
> internally
> will consult ALL BuildLogger2 instances and give the aggregated answer.
> Such a system will work in the presence of <record/> loggers.

That would be BuildListener2. There's a difference. I still think there
is value in being able to control the logger. Being able to control the
threshold in the logger (without affecting events sent to other
listeners) would be useful for script debugging. I've always found
<record> to be somewhat cumbersome.

Conor