ant-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Mark Bram <>
Subject Re: Open new command window for ANT task
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2004 14:56:07 GMT
Thank you to all for the advice!

So far, the tack I am taking is:
  1. writing a gui module that will redirect standard and error output to a
  2. having that module use Runtime.getRuntime().exec() to run a 'os'
command (i.e. Jini)
  3. put that into an Ant task..
So far I am up to the second step!

>> From: Robert Mark Bram []
>> I need to run several Java processes in new windows in a particular
>> order:
>> - a class server
>> - a Jini lookup server
>> - another class server
>> - a service provider
>> - a client....
>> Each of these should spin off into a new command window so they can keep
>> running and let the next process be launched.. This is easy to do with a
>> batch/shell file and I am hoping to do the same with Ant..
>> Do you think this can be done?
> If you don't mind having Ant be the parent of all these processes,
> And sticking around, you could start all the servers in <parallel>,
> Probably redirecting each server's output to avoid their multiplexing.
> I'm never done this, but others have. You may also use DOS/SH instead
> Of Ant as Kenneth suggested... --DD
> For additional commands, e-mail:

Robert Mark Bram
B.Comp.(Systems Development/Business Systems)
Doctor of Philosophy Student

School of Network Computing
Faculty of Information Technology
Monash University