ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: ant/docs/manual/CoreTasks fail.html
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:01:03 GMT
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Matt Benson <> wrote:

>> And there is at least one OS - OpenVMS - where 0 means no success,
>> but Java returns 0 for success on it as well, breaking the contract
>> for DCL scripts.
> I remembered this, but did not attempt to "manufacture" an
> alternative "successful" status code.  It would be nice if we could
> figure out a way to make everything work as expected on that OS.

My guess - I left OpenVMS before there was a Java VM for it - is that
OpenVMS users expect any Java program to return 0 on success.

> Would 1 be the most basic "successful" exit status?

IIRC 1 is the defintion of EXIT_SUCCESS in <stdlib.h>, so 1 would be
the most common choice for C programs.

> Also, I found in the course of composing this missive
> that there is a comment in Execute.isFailure(int
> exitValue) saying that ODD exit codes indicate
> failure, then returns (exitValue % 2 == 0).  I will
> commit the s/odd/even here.

My fault.  Thank you for spotting it.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: