ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Alias names for imported targets
Date Mon, 07 Jun 2004 12:31:22 GMT
Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> Is there anything missing in macrodef that does not allow you using it?
> Why, as you say, are you using the wrong strategy to solve your problem?

Because I've realized this just some days ago, mostly on this thread :-)

> To tell you the truth, I haven't found in my builds the killer app
> for <import/>, but I have found numerous places to use <macrodef/>.

That's probably because you were looking for 'extends', and <import>, as
we have seen here, is not about it as you seem to need.

Import is more like AOP, where you insert a target in the dependency tree.

> I think we need to start developing some patterns (AntWiki?)
> on how to properly use the tools we have and detect what is missing
> and what is pottentially bad coding, or tends to produce unmaintainable
> builds.
>
> I think we just now start to have enough experience to start looking at
> this questions.

Yes, finally I think so too.

Because of this I have also started a thread on the antworks mailing
list addressing these points.

Thanks all for the discussion! :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -