ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Alias names for imported targets
Date Sat, 05 Jun 2004 07:05:00 GMT
Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> Looks like spaguetti buildfiles to me.
>
> No ofence, but if the build have this kinds of fragile
> dependencies, will anyone else understan what is going on
> 6 month from now? That is what is wrong with spaguetti code.
>
> All this restriction in OO inheritance are there to limit
> developers capability of writing spaguetti. We still do, but...

Import overriding is not about OO inheritance, it's about target
dependency injection, which is not quite the same thing.

Look, if you import in Java packages that have the same class and then
want to use a specific one, you must use fully qualified names. Why
can't I in Ant? What does this have to do with inheritance?

Ant import is *different* from other mechanisms, so analogies can help
but are not the same thing.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -