ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Alias names for imported targets
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 16:47:01 GMT
Dominique Devienne wrote:

>>From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
>>I've looked into the code (gosh, I still remember part of it :-)
>>The following path is OTOMH, without even compiling, it should be a start.
>
> Implementing this is not the issue...

I know, I haven't replied to /your/ mail, but Stefan's original one.

In any case, the reason is simple: sometimes it happens that I want to
rely on *that* *particular* task in *that* imported buildfile, no matter
what happens in the future.

Imagine that I depend from an "init" task in an imported buildfile... I
would depend on it in many targets. Now, imagine, and it's not that far
fetched, that I have another init target that is imported or defined,
and that I have to recheck all the places where I have declared my
dependency...

It all boils down to what you want to call.
Personally I prefer to *declare* what I want, not go check later that an
extra target breaks my initial intentions (that are surely forgotten by
that time).

Is it clear now?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -