ant-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: Alias names for imported targets
Date Fri, 04 Jun 2004 14:19:05 GMT
> From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
> Erik already brought that up.  Target foo imported from project named
> bar is known as "foo" in my build file unless I override it (in which
> case it becomes "bar.foo".  I'd like to have the alias name "bar.foo"
> available even if I don't override it.
>
> I haven't looked into the code yet, but are there any principal
> objections?  Target time-frame would be 1.6.2.

Kinda... This allows to bypass the target override, and thus bypass
whatever the overridden target does. It's kind of like allowing any
class in Java to use C++'s Class::method(), i.e. static binding when
dynamic binding to any overridden method() was the intent.

Or perhaps I misunderstand the issue. I guess I don't understand the
purpose of this. Targets are akin to Java interfaces to me, i.e. they
define a contract, and if a 'derived' build script overrides target
A for example, what's the meaning of this same build script also
calling base.A (outside of the derived A itself), or worse, what's the
meaning of a further derived2 script to call base.A, bypassing
derived.A (derived2 imports derived, which import base)?

I'm not -1, and even then it'd be non-binding, but I don't understand
the need for this. --DD