ant-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: Possible Ant 1.7 alpha bug: property expansion.
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2004 20:05:04 GMT
> From: Jack J. Woehr [mailto:jax@purematrix.com]
> > Second, what's one to do? Ant by contract does not support nested
> > properties, so what's Ant to do when it sees on opening ${?
>
> Glad you ask.
>
>      Ant should behave analagously to m4: recursively expand until it
>      either hits ground or an uninstantiated ${decorated} name.

So we should break the contract (which most likely was just what the
implementation did at the time rather than a conscious decision, but I
wasn't there that many years ago), and break BC?

Ant allows to define property names with characters it uses to dereference
properties (a mistake I think), so how do you distinguish between the two?

I take it m4 doesn't allow to define a property/variable with $ and { and }
in its name, no? --DD