ant-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: ant/docs/manual/CoreTasks fail.html
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:41:09 GMT
> On 17 Jun 2004, <mbenson@apache.org> wrote:
>
> >   +                if (exitCode > 0) {
> >   +                    throw ese;
> >   +                }
>
> should be != instead of >.  There are OSes whith
> negative exit code.

Point taken.  Commit to follow shortly.

> And there is at least one OS - OpenVMS - where 0
> means no success, but
> Java returns 0 for success on it as well, breaking
> the contract for
> DCL scripts.

I remembered this, but did not attempt to
"manufacture" an alternative "successful" status code.
 It would be nice if we could figure out a way to make
everything work as expected on that OS.  Would 1 be
the most basic "successful" exit status?  Does anyone
know?

Also, I found in the course of composing this missive
that there is a comment in Execute.isFailure(int
exitValue) saying that ODD exit codes indicate
failure, then returns (exitValue % 2 == 0).  I will
commit the s/odd/even here.

-Matt