ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <jalbe...@cellectivity.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs Define r.java
Date Fri, 28 May 2004 15:31:09 GMT
> From: Dominique Devienne [mailto:DDevienne@lgc.com]
>
> > From: Peter Reilly [mailto:peter.reilly@corvil.com]
> > This could be the case for <import>, but this code is for <typedef
> > file="x.xml"/> and <typedef resource="x/y/z.xml"/>, which
> is possibly
> > more likely to be an error to have circular loading.
>
> Ah, it make sense now. So it's to deal with AntLibs depending
> on other AntLibs then. I didn't get that the first time. Then
> it does indeed sound like the message should always be
> visible. I'm actually thinking this should be an error
> (raising an exception), but maybe that's too harsh. We do
> barf on targets with circular dependencies, so why wouldn't
> we barf for circular AntLib dependencies?

Remember that in general you have no control of the dependencies
of Antlibs (since they may be shrink-wrap 3rd party binary libraries).
So, it could be the case that you reach such a situation just
because two 3rd party antlibs have common dependencies or something.

You need to get the right behavior without needing to alter the libs.

Jose Alberto