ant-dev mailing list archives

From Anthony Goubard <adagoub...@chello.nl>
Subject Re: ANT 1.7 features suggestion
Date Wed, 05 May 2004 17:42:01 GMT
Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:

>> 1) Integrate if and unless at the Task level.
>>This would allow all ANT tasks to have the if and unless
>>attribute (the
>>same way that it has an id attribute).
>>So far the only way to do it is by using <target> except if
>>you use one
>>of the task which has already the "if" "unless" attributes
>>such as <fail>.
>>I think ANT users would use this feature to remove some
>>tartget created
>>only for the purpose of the "if" or would remove the
>>ant-contrib <if> task.
>>
>> 2) Same thing for the components fileset, mapper, include?, ...
>>

>Why not on ProjectComponent? I thought about that ... but not very deeply.
>And on that level we´ll get problems with external tasks (on our own we
>can delete the if/unless-attributes, e.g. in junit-<test>).
>Maybe the namespace could be more helpful.

Indeed why not on ProjectComponent. I also think that if the task is not
executed because of the if/unless there shouldn't be any taskStarted
events.

>"if/unless should accept a list".
>Then we´d have to specify what should be true (how they are combined
>OR/AND/XOR):
>- if: AND - all properties have to be set
>- unless: OR - one property will stop the execution
>Another approach would be a new PropertyHelper. I thought about that when
>I had played with the JXPath-example in the proposals. More complicated
>logic
>could be realized then
>  if="${logic: prop1 AND (prop2 OR prop3)}"

I don't mind if it's not possible to test several properties at the same
time, it's easy to use the <condition> task just before calling your
target.

>> 6) Get the properties from a target after antcall
>>  At the moment if you have a target that define some properties, the
>>only way to call it in order to get the values is using "depends".
>>  This is a problem as you may want to invoke your target not
>>necessary
>>at the beginning or you may want to pass some parameters.
>>  That's why it would be nice to have a "keepProperties" (or
>>whatever)
>>attribute to the <ant> and <antcall> task.
>>

>Sounds for a <return> task or a <antcall returnproperty=""/>.

Note that in the example I gave the <return> or returnproperty wouldn't
work as I need both properties defined in my target.

Anthony