ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: java1.5 features of interest
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2004 07:44:28 GMT
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004, Steve Loughran <steve_l@iseran.com> wrote:

> 1. a new ProcessBuilder :
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/jcp/beta1/apidiffs/java/lang/ProcessBuilder.html
>
> Either this eliminates all the platform specific grunge, or it adds
> new complexity

We could use it as yet another launcher when available.  If it works
better than the launcher code of JDK 1.3+, that is.  See the pointers
in <exec> manual page for things that won't work with the vmLauncher.

> 2. an XML format for properties.

I haven't had a look yet, is it different from what we do with
<xmlproperty>?

> 3. InetAddr.isReachable(). I can see a good utility class for
> deployment there

Yep.

> We also get getenv back, which would be good.

If it works, that is.  We should compare the results to our own native
implementations, in particular on special cases like OpenVMS where we
handle logicals with multiple equivalence names and all that.

Stefan