ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Ant 1.6 and Jelly/Maven (was Re: [GUMP@lsd]: ant-1.5/ant-1.5 failed)
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2004 06:47:44 GMT
[I keep general@gump in the loop even though it probably isn't really
that interesting for Gump.  But Brett isn't subscribed to dev@ant and
I don't want to cross-post this to four lists.]

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Brett Porter <bporter@f2network.com.au> wrote:

> From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
>> Some change between Ant 1.5 and Ant 1.6 has broken the Unit tests
>> of commons-jelly-tags-ant.

> This would be contributing to Maven's failure with Ant 1.6 then,
> too.

Quite possible.

I didn't know that Maven had a problem with Ant 1.6, even though I am
subscribed to the Maven dev list.  We really should collaborate on
issues like this - if you Maven guys have trouble with Ant, please
tell us Ant guys.

<tongue-in-cheek>The on-topic part for Gump: If Maven could be built
by Gump, we might have seen this issue long before Ant 1.6.0 was
released.</tongue-in-cheek>

Back to the issue at hand.  I'm sort of stuck here.  I don't know
anything about Jelly and Jelly development has stopped AFAICT.  There
doesn't seem to be anybody left I could ask questions or who'd apply
patches should that become necessary.  It may very well be an issue
like <http://ant.apache.org/faq.html#unknownelement.taskcontainer>
where we can't fix Ant, but can provide a work-around so that code
works with Ant 1.5.x and 1.6.x afterwards.

If Maven has the same problems, at least you could help me track it
down.  I'm more than willing to get this resolved and we should try to
do so (after Easter since I'll be offline during the holidays) in any
way that works for you.

> Additionally, the classloader changes caused a few problems.

Yes, I understand that.  We know pretty well that the change broke
some things, but we did so consciously to solve a whole slew of other
issues and won't revert it.

How does Maven integrate with Ant?  The classloading changes shouldn't
affect Maven unless it runs Ant via the command line interface or the
new Launcher class.  Do you have any details here?

Cheers

        Stefan
--
http://stefanbodewig.blogger.de/