ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Suggested Diff: UnknownElement.java
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2004 10:45:07 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Apr 2004, Peter Reilly <peter.reilly@corvil.com> wrote:
>

>>I am not sure it is good advice to tell people to recompile ant, in
>>the (already alarming) error message that most ant newbies see.
>

> I agree.  The statement should be conditional in that it says "look
> whether it actually conatins something, if you have compiled Ant
> yourself".

Given the message is already so long, why not refer the reader to a page
on ant.apache.org that covers the topic in all its detail. Then we can
extend it whenever we want without having to patch the code or have a
message that fills a 24x80 terminal so much that the user has to scroll
up to find out what failed.

-Steve