ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: hotswap via ant
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2004 14:25:02 GMT
dak@dotech.com wrote:
> I'd like to not only build (using Ant) when I'm using VIM, but hotdeploy the
> class changes to a running app. I use ant.vim and it works very nicely. Then, I
> wrote a hotswap client using JDI. Now, I can run that via the commandline, but
> I'd rather integrate it into Ant.
> I toyed with doing a separate task, but I thought I'd just end up redoing some
> code that was already in <javac>. So, for a proof of concept, I've added some
> attributes to the <javac> task and am in the process of finishing the
> connections to the hot swap code. Basicly, once the compile is done, if hotswap
> was enabled, it would connect to the VM and push those class files over.
>
> First, does anyone have any better idea of how I could integrate the hotswap
> feature into Ant?
> Second, is there a good way to get a list of the actual fully qualified class
> names that were compiled? I have the list of files, but I'd have to try to
> parse out the class name, which I don't have a good solution for yet. I just
> really need the classes dir (destDir) and the names of all the classes to be
> replaced in the VM.

Better to make it a separate task, if possible.
One problem with getting a list of compiled classes is that the compiler
(be it javac, jikes, etc), makes its own mind up. So not even javac knows.

A separate <hotswap> task could take a fileset of classes, and maybe
some timestamp file; all files after the timestamp file are deployed &
the timestamp file is touched.