ant-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: timestamp checking
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2004 17:57:24 GMT
--- Steve Loughran <steve_l@iseran.com> wrote:

> I am thinking we can and should factor out all
> timestamp checking into
> one place, like FileUtils and FileSet.

+1

> Incidentally, on that granularity discussion
> yesterday. There is a
> platform independent way to determine this:
> experimentation. Just set
> the timestamp of a file repeatedly to work out the
> minimum acceptable
> granularity for setLastModified() getLastModified().

Where would you suggest doing this?  in
java.io.tmpdir?  This might give us a reasonable
default for the execution box, but if granularity is
truly per filesystem, it kind of leaves us in a
position from which I can't see any attractive
options.  I don't think we should be touching files
all over every accessible filesystem just to determine
granularity per file, though I don't really think
that's what you were proposing.  Again, CHKNTFS can
tell you per local root on NT/2K/XP whether you're
dealing with an NTFS volume, but as most people
probably don't have more than a couple that of dubious
value as well...

-Matt