ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: javac and compilerargs
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2004 11:13:46 GMT
On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Arnaud Vandyck <> wrote:

> I'd like to make some changes in the
> ant-1.6.1/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/compilers/
> task to change the behavior. I'd like ant NOT to pass the -C
> argument if a nested <compilerarg> tag exists.

This is hard to do in a backwards compatible way.

Honestly, I'm not sure how big our gcj user base is and how many of
them use <compilerarg> to pass additional arguments, the answer could
very well be zero.  But if it is bigger than that, such a change would
break their builds.

Is there a command line argument that you'd always use when compiling
to native code, like --main?  If this was the case, we could silently
omit -C if compiler args have been specified and one of them started
with --main=.

The only other solution I'd see would be a compiler specific magic
property.  Something like build.compiler.gcj.native and we'd drop -C
if that property was set to true.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message