ant-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: <junitreport> slowed down by <properties>
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2004 23:54:01 GMT
> From: Stephane Bailliez [mailto:sbailliez@apache.org]
>
> I'm not sure that space or slowness is such an issue, it's just like
> saying that the tests are slow...

Well, the tests are slow too, but that's a different issue ;-)

For a 20min full rebuild, the 'testreport' takes almost 4 minutes,
which is a very significant piece to me.

> > One of my projects forks 309 testcases. With <properties>, it
> > adds up to 6.5 MB aggregated file. Without, it's 600 KB!!!
> > Seems to me the properties are always the same for all tests,
> > at least they should be before the test runs.
>
> Design problem.
> And it may be the case but it may not depending how you run all tests
>
> > But the kicker is about the transform speed! By pre-processing
> > the XML files to remove the <properties> element before the
> > aggregation, it transforms in 61 seconds instead of 217 sec!
>
> How long does it takes if you simply change the xsl file to avoid
> processing properties ?

I'd have to get back to you on that. Last time I tried, I gave up
on it, but more because I tried to keep just one copy of the property
table, instead of purely suppressing them.

Nevertheless, I prefer smaller files, rather than big ones.
Perusing the code, I also discovered that the file is output to
disk, but the transform is performed from the in-memory DOM tree
anyhow, so it's not actually needed.

BTW, I didn't quite understand why displaying the properties used
some JavaScript, rather than a pure HTML table, as an external file.

--DD