ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <steve_lough...@hpl.hp.com>
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:11:35 GMT
Matt Benson wrote:
> --- Steve Loughran <steve_l@iseran.com> wrote:
>
>>we could always add a <System.gc> task :)
>

> I thought of this too, but mostly just to scare
> myself.

I've been known to add a gc() method to a SOAP servicel, to some
cleanup. Also a call to get the amount of memory used, for some remote
monitoring.

when i was doing an ASP.net service once, I had some code that forgot to
close a file, so the file was staying open till GC engaged, which, being
GC was not when I wanted to overwrite the file. I had to fix the bug in
the app and do a hot deploy of the app (forcing GC, unload, reload) to
trigger a GC.