ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Sshexec fail on starting a service (websphere)
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2004 10:11:27 GMT
Anderson, Rob (Global Trade) wrote:
> The sshexec task, jsch and ssh cannot be expected to anylize the output from a command
that is run. This is why there is an exit status. The example of echo is a good one. Echo
will succeed and report exit status 0 to the process that calls it. If you wish to anylize
the output of echo, you need to do this in the parent process.

While I agree with everything you say, the limited scope of exit codes
really irritates me.

all we have to return errors and success is a number, a number that can
also be used in different ways by java.exe, and which behaves
differently on different boxes.

This code snippet from the LGPL smartfrog tasks (smartfrog.org) show the
problem. I am forking java, but java.exe can return things if it feels
like it, so the program we fork knows to return -1 for an error -the
switch statement should say 0==good, -1 error, else: trouble.

Only java1.4.2 on hpux seems to return 255 instead of -1 on exec. I can
see a bit of platform specific details creeping in there, and it makes
me unhappy.

         switch(err) {
             case 0:
                 return;
                 //-1 is an expected error, but
                 //for some reason smartfrog on HP-UX returns something
else.
                 //so we catch 255 as well.
             case -1:
             case 255:
                 throw new BuildException(failureText);
             default:
                 throw new BuildException(errorText+" - error code "+err);
         }

Can we ever move to a world where executed programs throw a full
exception up to the caller, rather than just return a status code?