ant-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Oxspring <roxspr...@imapmail.org>
Subject <depends/> and no-op output
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 17:37:22 GMT
One of my (very few) pet hates with ant is that the depends task
displays something when it performs a no-op.  This seems counter to
other tasks (copy, javac, zip IIRC) and means that my complex build ends
up spitting out a lot of output while doing very little.  The output
itself doesn't exactly qualify as stimulating reading either:
"Deleted 0 out of date files in 0 seconds"

I was wondering if there was any point in preparing a patch to not
output/log if 0 files have been deleted.  The patch / change would be
laughably small but I'm not 100% that it'll sit well with everyone as
depends feels like its been around for a few releases now and this would
be a change to the output.  I could complicate the patch by making it
configurable (lognoop="no"??) if that makes people happier although it
seems unecessary to me.  Alternatively I could live with it as it is and
mutter to myself just as I have done so far.

Thoughts?

Rob