ant-dev mailing list archives

From Conor MacNeill <>
Subject Re: optional jars
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2004 02:52:57 GMT
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:25:06 -0600, Steve Cohen <>

> Can someone please clarify the optional jar requirement for ant >= 1.6?
> The
> manual says in one place that you must build ant with the library
> dependencies present, and in another place (Installing ant-Optional
> Tasks) it
> states that you can simply drop the dependency jar into ant's lib
> directory
> (making no mention of building).  I know building was required pre 1.6
> but
> I'm not sure what the status is post 1.6.  There's a guy asking this
> question
> now on the user's list in regard to the FTP task and I don't want to
> steer
> him wrong.

If you are building from CVS or source you need to have the dependencies
there to cause Ant to build the corresponding optional jar.

If you have installed a standard Ant build, you just need to drop the jars
into the lib dir. The corresponding optional jar file will have been built
by the release manager when the release was put together.

So, the answer will depend on which scenario applies (i.e. build or run).
For most users, the second answer will apply.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message