ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant 1.7
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2004 07:31:22 GMT
Antoine Lévy-Lambert wrote:
> The xdocs stuff require time to get the method for processing the xml to
> html right, and even more to migrate the existing content to new formats.
> Once it will be finished, it should improve a little bit the homogeneity
> of the doc, make it more easy to maintain (hopefully) by avoiding
> duplication between javadoc comments and manual,
> and I hope also even nicer to read for the users. I am personally very
> interested by this project (because I think documentation is a very
> important pillar of all software projects).

As a Forrest developer, I am also interested. We have just migrated code
from Alexandria to Forrest, in a dir called forrestdoc, that is meant to
produce code documentation for a project.

Here is a sample of what it generates ATM:
http://cvs.apache.org/~nicolaken/whiteboard/forrestdoc/

I am working on support for outputting it to M$ Help and JavaHelp
format, and I'm almost finished.

Now, for the ant xdoc proposal... I personally think that the Ant manual
is the best manual I've seen so far, especially from a reference POV.
When I need to remember some params, the Ant manual makes it very easy
for me.

Cocoon has very similar needs: we have many components that are used
*not* in a Java program but in an xml descriptor (sitemap), and we too
have investigated the possibility of using javadoc tags to generate it
automatically. Needless to say, we have a pattern emerging... I'd better
start looking in the Ant xdocs proposal :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -