ant-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Microsoft XML scripting patent
Date Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:32:25 GMT
Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
>>>Not only <scriptdef>. You can do the same (storing) with
>>> <target name="" description="">
>>>     <script language="">
>>>         <![CDATA[
>>>         ]]>
>>>     </script>
>>> </target>
>>>

>>Exactly, the patent descibes the contents of the ant "script"
>>manual page:
>>http://ant.apache.org/manual/OptionalTasks/script.html
>>Peter
>

> And on [1] you can see, that´s very old. First version on that location
> is from Feb 2001, ANT_13_BRANCH and I think you can find older one...
> The version from Feb 2001 [2] contains all these infos I used in the
> example.

It seems to be filed in 2000 ( Dec ), so feb 2001 is not old enough for
prior art.

I think JSP have used scriptlets before 2000 - but with <%, not proper
XML, and only one language. However I remember variants of JSP using
<script language="">, with javascript or some other languages.
I don't remember when I've seen the first demo of JSPs using javascript
and VB ( Sam Ruby may know - he was there :-), it should be about the
same time.

It seems like yet another broad patent on common technology...

Maybe Conor could ask the board ?

Costin