ant-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Ant 2.0
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2004 17:10:26 GMT
Steve Loughran wrote:

>> I suppose the problem was that undefined properties were just ignored,
>> and you had a hard time debugging this ( I had similar problems many
>> times ).
>

> you can get those messages if you crank up the verbosity, but you still
> need to go through the lines and look at them. I suppose if we had a
> better listener model then I could run a listener to filter for the
> relevant message topic and highlight them.

We can increase the level ( warn ? ) and make them more visible ( caps,
underline, etc ).

Actually - one of the problems I have with the current ant logging is
that the default verbosity is a bit too big and sometimes hard to
follow. It would be nice if warnings would display the build file and
line number, and some progress events ( like targets with no output )
would be moved to verbose. I tought commons-logging logger is a
solution, but it's too complicated to configure.

>> I would preffer a warning for undefined properties outside echo/fail
>> instead of the option to fail - since in the second case it may fail
>> in too many build.xml files, forcing people to just disable it.
>

> I'd have the default of non-strict; fail-on-undefined would be an option
> people could turn on for better diagnostics.

My point was that it's better to have the default "warn" instead of
having this as an option and fail.

If the behavior is "fail" - it clearly has to be an option, and most
people will not be able to use it ( or even know about it - who reads
all the manuals ? ). If the behavior is "warn" - with maybe an option to
silence it - people could avoid a lot of errors and it would be easier
to debug.

Costin