ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: auto download of antlibs
Date Sun, 08 Feb 2004 21:42:27 GMT
Steve Loughran wrote:

> OK, now that Ant1.6 has antlibs, it is time to think of the next step:
> auto download of antlibs and (perhaps) dependencies.
>
> 1. Possible requirements
>
> -allow users to specify the URLs of dependent antlibs
> -allow teams to provide an override point that specifies their location
> -secure download -only files from trusted sources are fetched.
> -caching of downloads, global or per-user
> -go through proxies
> -allow antlib providers to move their files (handle redirects)
> -allow antlib providers to mirror, by having a mirror file that lists
> possible sources
> -support private repositories (intranet/internet, https, authenticated)
> as well as public sources
> -make it easy to publish an antlib, and register it in the ant central list
>
> Anything else?
>
> 2. What things implement this? What do Maven and Ruper do?

Ruper does some of the above and has the goal to also do the remaining
items.

Just some extra insight on Ruper2 from the old site:

Multiple Repos:
http://www.krysalis.org/ruper/config/index.html
Eclipse Plugin:
http://www.krysalis.org/ruper/eclipse/index.html
CLI:
http://www.krysalis.org/ruper/tool/quickstart.html

> 3. do we want to integrate this with ant, or have some more standalone
> tool that can be used to keep a component repository up to date, a tool
> with an ant task for use in a build file. A sort of apt-get for apache
> stuff...

You have just described Ruper that is now in the Apache Incubator Depot.

In addition, I'll add that there is also a need to import more than
antlibs, that is also buildfiles that can be imported with related
resources.

It has been proposed some time ago to bring to Ant things that Centipede
provided. Most has already been integrated or is in the Incubator
(Apache Depot), while what remains is in the Centipede2 proposal, AKA
antlets.

Antlets already work like this:

     <importantlet name="init" href="http://ant.apache.org/antlets" />

The above automatically downloads it if necessary.

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?AntProjectPages/Antlet

Take the above simply as a possible proposal. If instead Ant would
decide to just include the code in the codebase, it would be fine too.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -