ant-dev mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <DDevie...@lgc.com>
Subject RE: [Fwd: [New task] scripttypedef (or refectdef)]
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:29:54 GMT
> From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
> > Hi, I would like to add a new optional task for ant 1.7 -
> > <scripttypedef>.
>
> How about moving it to a separate antlib instead.  Is there anything
> in it that would prevent the task from being used with 1.6.x?

+1 to a separate antlib for everything script-related.

I'd never think I'd write this after arguing against the 'too scripty'
arguments when I lobbied for if/unless attributes on everything, but the
flurry of various scripts tasks and snippets I've seen on the list make me
long for declarative XML build files...

I wonder if the rate of useful task creation will decline because everything
will now be implemented as an ad-hoc script directly in the build file.

Also, I personally think we have too many new names for tasks. For example,
why have a <scripttypedef name="..." language="..." />, instead of:

<typedef name="...">
  <script language="..." />
</typedef>

Anyways, my usual ramblings... --DD