ant-dev mailing list archives

From Antoine Lévy-Lambert <anto...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Microsoft XML scripting patent
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:13:37 GMT
Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:

>>So, it sound not like a pattent on scripting, but on
>>how to store collections of scripts in one file and being
>>able to execute them.
>>

><target> as collection of scripts?
>
>Jan

The example provided on the web page showing MS's patent show an xml
file containing a .bat file and a .vbs script, both rewritten in some
xml format.

As someone else wrote, it is a little bit like an ant script with
several scriptdefs in it.

The MS patent talks about specific XML elements :
<collection>
    <file extension=".bat">
     .... commands
    </file>
</collection>

I do not know whether their patent only applies to XML scripts written
using this particular schema ? Or does the patent claim to protect *all*
use of XML for scripts, and particularly this particular document
structure ?

Antoine

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ptxt&s1=XML.ABST.&s2=Microsoft.ASNM.&OS=ABST/XML+AND+AN/Microsoft&RS=ABST/XML+AND+AN/Microsoft
19. In a computer system having one or more scripts written in one or
more scripting languages, a computer readable having stored thereon a
data structure for encompassing the one or more scripts into a single
file, the data structure comprising:

a file element field for each of the one or more scripts, wherein each
file element field delimits one of the one or more scripts;

an extension attribute field included in each file element field,
wherein the extension attribute field identifies a scripting language;

a code element field included within each file element field, wherein
the code element field contains script instructions in the scripting
language identified in the extension attribute field;

a name element field within each file element field, wherein the name
element field contains a descriptive name; and

a description element field within each file element field, wherein the
description element field contains a functional description.

wherein the data structure is configured to be parsed by a parser into a
list for presentation to a user and that includes an identifier for each
of the one or more scripts, the identifier comprising the descriptive
name and functional description of each script.

20. A data structure as defined in claim 19, further comprising a CDATA
element field within the code element field, wherein the CDATA element
field precludes data within the CDATA element field from being
recognized as a format of the data structure.

21. A data structure as defined in claim 19, wherein the file elements
for the one or more scripts are delimited by a collection element,
wherein the collection element is a root of the file.