ant-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] date for 1.6.1 final
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 09:34:48 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Feb 2004, Steve Loughran <steve_l@iseran.com> wrote:
>

>>The one interesting issue is that as Java1.5 beta has just shipped,
>>we should test against that to see if there are any surprises that
>>we can fix in 1.6.1.
>

> ;-)
>
> <http://stefanbodewig.blogger.de/stories/50816/>
> <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ant-dev&m=107528601129819&w=2>
> <http://stefanbodewig.blogger.de/stories/59918/>
>
> Ant 1.6.0 doesn't allow you to use source="1.5" in <javac>, 1.6.1
> will.
>
> At least on the Linux version, the -target switch for javac is broken
> (in the JDK, not in Ant) as -target 1.1 will produce 1.4 classes
> anyway.  And the default value for -source seems to have changed as
> the JDK complains about -target 1.1 unless you also explicitly set
> -source 1.3.  It looks as if 1.4 was the new default.
>
> I just don't want to adapt anything here before I see the docs for JDK
> 1.5 as it is hard to tell what has been changed intentionally and what
> is a bug in the JDK.
>
> I have successfully bootstrapped Ant with 1.5 and ran the testsuite.
> I didn't try the javadoc task (but that should be trivial) or rmi
> (hmm, could try to build JMeter).  I don't have any project that uses
> javah, though.

we have some sample code from the ant book; I could try that out.
Actually, we could make that part of the test suite -we dont need to
verify that javah generates compilable C++, only that it generates C++.

Another area to think about is inheritance of stuff on the classloaders.
Java1.5 does a good thing in that xerces and xalan have been repackaged
under Sun, so you can have a real xerces and xalan without suffering
endorsed directory grief (finally!). This may change our actions
regarding which bits get passed down from above, and which bits dont