ant-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: submitting enhancements
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 14:51:22 GMT
--- Steve Loughran <steve_l@iseran.com> wrote:

> There is no correct choice.

I agree with your evaluation on each of the options I
proposed, which is why I asked... so as an alternative
answer to "no correct choice," we'll say "it varies."
In this case, because I didn't want to wait to make
progress :) and because Ant already contains a class
that ALMOST does what I need, I have decided to
refactor the existing class into a subclass of the one
I need.  This took all of a few minutes.

> If you look how new
> stuff has been tacked
> into existing code, people often end up using
> reflection to make the new
> features optional, rather than mandatory.

I will keep this in mind... in this case the needed
class is very GP, such that I wouldn't really want to
add a complete other jar for it....

Thanks for your response,
Matt